Swedish Saffron Cake
200 gr butter
1/2 gr saffron
1/5 cups sugar
3/5 cups milk
3/5 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
butter and breadcrumbs for preparing the baking pan
To decorate (optional): icing sugar, flaked almonds, or both
- To prepare a baking pan, grease the surface and sprinkle it with breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C (345 °F).
- Melt the butter and let it cool. Add the saffron by stirring it in after grinding the strands of saffron with 1 tablespoon of the sugar in a pestle and mortar.
- In a bowl, mix the sugar and eggs until they are fluffy and pale yellow in colour.
- Fill the bowl with the milk and saffron butter, then stir the mixture together.
- Mix the baking powder and flour. Then, carefully stir the flour mixture into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake it for 45 minutes. Until l it will get a little bit of colour on top.
- After 45 min takes the cake from the oven, and let it cool in the pan while setting. When serving, flip it upside down onto a plate.
- Top it off by sprinkling it with icing sugar or flaked almonds, or both. And now it's ready to eat.